Thursday, February 14, 2008

A visit with Bo Bartlett...

Since Thursday is the day I talk about artists, I thought it appropriate that I went to an Art talk today. Gage Academy has Art talks about once a month, but generally I find that it's more productive if I stay in my studio and paint. The few artists that I've heard there have been wacky and a bit pretentious. They also create things using silly string and old toasters-- not my kind of thing. If it's your kind of thing, I'm not judging you, I just won't go listen to your Art talks.

Anyway, Bo Bartlett was the guest for the Art talk today. He's neither wacky, nor pretentious and his work is beautiful. One of the big walls that I keep hitting with my work is figuring out what I want to say with my Art. It's easy to just paint pretty pictures, but is that real life? I've seen too much to know that I have more to say than just, "oh, here's a pretty bunch of fruit." Yet, I don't really know how to communicate the big ideas in my head. I can barely use words effectively, much less tubes of paint.

So not only is Bo's work wonderful, he really conveys the big ideas effectively. I took a workshop he taught last spring and learned more in that two days than I had in two quarters at Gage. It was called "Finding Your Voice as a Painter" and it was definitely a defining moment in my art making process. Listening to Bo again today challenged me and reminded me of the things about this process that matter. That what I have to say is worth the effort it takes to figure out how to say it.

Go look at Bo's work and be inspired.

2 comments:

  1. Jolie, I'm a big fan of Bo Bartlett
    Could you share more about the workshop you went to and what it was like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it was a two day workshop that focused on a holistic approach to painting-- we started each day with simple yoga stretches, Bo encouraged us to drink a gallon of water each day, and we spent a lot of time talking about spiritual aspects of painting. Bo provided each of us with a copy of The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron as well as a large packet of handouts with his own ideas. Of course, the most helpful part was the actual painting. We painted in morning and afternoon sessions, with Bo coming around to each of us for individual critiques. It was a great experience.

    ReplyDelete