Monday, February 2, 2009

Feast of St. Brigid

Today is Groundhog Day and the Feast of St. Brigid. To celebrate, we're having a (silent) poetry reading. Learn more here.

Jane Kenyon is one of my favorite poets. I keep a book of her poems on my shelf next to my easel, because reading her work is like taking a deep breath on a hectic day. It offers a quiet reflection, and a puddle of peace in the chaos of the world. Read for yourself.


The Suitor

We lie back to back. Curtains
lift and fall,
like the chest of someone sleeping.
Wind moves the leaves of the box elder;
they show their light undersides,
turning all at once
like a school of fish.
Suddenly I understand that I am happy.
For months this feeling
has been coming closer, stopping
for short visits, like a timid suitor.

Jane Kenyon

No comments:

Post a Comment