Monday, March 16, 2009

What if the Hokey Pokey is really what it's all about?

Ok, so not really, but I'm starting to wonder.

I'm a bit discouraged this week. Still no job here in Portland. But do I want one? I don't know. I do want money-- and health insurance, but couldn't I get that from painting? Well, only if someone one actually buys the paintings. But that isn't really happening right now...

I'm feeling undervalued. Our society doesn't really care about painters. They value mathematicians and physicists. And engineers, and other science-y people. And lawyers. No one needs a still-life painter of toys.

Also, I know that there are more than five people that read this blog, but only two commenters were willing to put themselves out there-- I'm not sure what to think of that. I don't want to guilt you guys, but I don't want to expend the energy on this if it's not working.

This year has been a year of transitions. It's made me a bit introspective. Between losing my community, my house in turmoil, and the subsequent move to Portland, I'm a little lost. What am I doing? Who do I want to be? Why am I whining to you? I should go paint.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:50 AM

    Maybe it realy is just a lot of Hokey Pokey, so that said just shake your self off and turn your self about, maybe things will look better. I like your blog so keep it up.

    Love you
    Aunt Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your blog too!!! :) Sometimes you do need to just shake it all about (hello - moving, new house, no job...sounds like you shook it up!) to get a new perspective.

    xo
    Sorina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:43 AM

    I read your blog too!! :) Sometimes you do just need to shake it all about (hello! Moving, new house, new friends...sounds like you shook it up to me!) to get a new perspective.

    xo
    Sorina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:24 AM

    Hey I visited your etsy store, I loved what you have done, I think my favorite was the orgami, but it was hard to decide. I think you should put them on ebay and maybe get more exposure. SO have you turned your self about yet.
    Love you
    Aunt Judy

    ReplyDelete