Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Painting update

Chris and the camera are in Pakistan at the moment, but I managed to get these pictures just before he left.



This is the blank canvas that you saw last week. I've pretty much finished this one. My idea was a key, but no door. Kind of a "Here's the answer, what's the question?" thought. I found these keys at the Frye museum store, and I thought they were pretty.


As you can see, I've started the second in the Mr. Potato Head series. This one is "Hear no evil." I'm still early in, so I haven't thought as much about the ideas behind this painting. The small square painting gives me an idea of the finished product, while I started the larger painting with a value sketch.


The lines around the painting help me with placement and proportions. I have little pieces of plexiglass with these lines scratched into them, so that I can look at my setup in the same way. It helps with composition and drawing, in ways I never really expected. I also like the idea that I'm using a system that some of my favorite artists implemented as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment