Thursday, July 10, 2008

See no evil

My newest painting.


Mr. Potato Head. This is the first of a series. I'm going to paint him next without ears, and then again without a mouth. I'm really having fun with this. It evokes a lot of questions. Is he blind by choice? He seems pretty happy without his eyes. Or does he appear to be trying to find them with his hands waving around searching? How did he lose them in the first place?

Someone suggested that I title this "The Bush Administration," and that brings up a whole new set of questions. Is Mr. Potato Head a symbol or our president, or does he represent the American people looking the other way?

I also like the idea of "Our Fearless Leader." It's less political, and open to a wider interpretation. And the idea of "the blind leading the blind" is something that everyone can relate to.

Regardless of the title, it's a painting that opened several doors in my head. I have lots of ideas for new paintings to keep me busy for awhile. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment