Thursday, January 24, 2008

Thursday again...

Since Monday was a holiday and I wasn't in my studio, this week has gone very quickly. I have a lot of painting to catch up on, so I'm just jumping straight to this week's influential artist: Vermeer.

For many years he was almost forgotten, but now Vermeer's work resonates for many as the definitive Dutch ideal in painting. Though we don't know much about him as a person, his work is easily recognizable. For me his work is really simple and complex at the same time. I've tried several master copies of his work and each time I learn something new about painting. The world he creates is his painting is quiet and thoughtful.

My great disappointment in life is that I haven't actually seen his work in person. In 2001, his work at the Met in New York wasn't on display, then both times I was in Amsterdam we went to the Van Gogh Museum instead of the Rijksmuseum because it was being remodeled. When I went to New York in September, seeing Vermeer was at the top of my list. BUT, I went just a week before this exhibit opened. And no matter how much I pleaded, the guard would not let me in to wherever they were storing the painting while they were hanging the work.

So I guess I'll just have to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment