Thursday, January 31, 2008

Ending the week...

There's no motif painting this week, because my big project is working so well. I'm really enjoying working on it right now, so I thought I'd stick with it until I hit my first bump. Here's today's progress:



It doesn't look that different from yesterday, but that's mostly because I was double checking my measurements and wanted to take my time. Also, because we talk about Art History in the studio on Thursdays, there's not as much time for painting.

And on that note, today I'm going to talk about my teacher-- Gary Faigin. I first heard of Gary several years ago when I was taking my first art class with a group of lovely little old ladies. He had written a book about facial expressions and these little old ladies were just in love with this book. I spent several hours sitting on the floor in Barnes and Noble looking at the book, but never bought it because I was just too intimidated and not quite ready for it.

Fast forward a few years-- Chris and I were getting ready to come to Seattle and I was looking for a place to study art. I found Gage Academy online and recognized Gary's name immediately. I knew that I wanted to come to this school and study with him-- it was almost an immediate decision. But once again, I wasn't sure that I was ready. So I enrolled at Gage in the Foundation Painting program and worked my way through that last year and this year I've finally gotten my own studio space and an opportunity for Gary to critique my work.

He comes in Tuesday afternoons for individual critiques and Thursday mornings to talk about Art History. I've learned so much from both--plus, I love the freedom that comes from just painting and painting and painting every other day of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment