Wednesday, January 23, 2008

In between...

I should be painting, but instead I'm eating lentils and listening to iTunes. I'm in between paintings and feeling a little lost. I suppose I'm back to stage one.

I'm finished with a project that I've worked on for more than two months--and I'm glad. I'm just not so sure I'm ready to invest myself in to a new painting like that. It's the stage of uncertainty and insecurity. For me, it's the stage where I get the most frustrated and anxious. Others in my studio love it. They're excited about a new project and a fresh clean canvas. They'll spend hours and hours just planning and sketching. Meanwhile, I will just throw anything on the canvas to get something down and then later spend hours and hours correcting it. Or even worse, I'll encounter a problem I hadn't planned for and have to begin all over again.

I'm trying to be more comfortable in this stage. Trying to plan and think through my ideas. Though what I really want to do is just throw some paint on this big white canvas. I'm definitely looking forward to stage two.

No comments:

Post a Comment